Dancers who wish to audition for the Ballet 5:8 Trainee Program should be attending a comprehensive, pre-professional ballet training program at the time of the audition. Dancers must also be at least 17 years old by the beginning of the program and should have successfully completed their high school academic study.
First Round Audition
To submit a first-round audition, you will need to fill out the online application below. To complete the application, the following items will be needed:
- $30 non-refundable audition fee, payable by Paypal/credit card.
- Headshot (JPG file)
- First arabesque photograph, profile: arabesque at 90-degrees and en relevé, en pointe for female applicants (JPG file)
- Current dance training and performance resume, one page only (Microsoft Word or PDF file)
- Audition video (uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with an UNLISTED link)
The application includes some essay-style questions that will help us to get to know you a little better. It could take you 30-45 minutes to fill out the application completely.
You will additionally need a current letter of recommendation from a person in a place of leadership over you, such as your dance instructor, or employer, who can testify to your work ethic and your interest in pursuing a dance-related career path. This needs to be mailed or emailed directly to Ballet 5:8.
THE AUDITION DEADLINE IS MARCH 1
Applications may be submitted beginning December 1. Applicants will receive notification of their audition result via email 1-6 weeks after all application components have been received, including the application form, audition fee and letter of recommendation.
Missed paying your audition fee? You can pay online below! Please include the applicant's name in the comment field.
Audition Video Instructions
Applicants please include the following exercises, one side only. Audition videos must be current (within 3 months of submission date). Performance footage is not an acceptable substitute for required classwork - thanks for your understanding!
- At the Barre:
- Plie, tendu, rond de jamb and grand battement
- In the center, one side only, en pointe:
- Adagio, including: Grand plié, developés to each direction, penché, promendade
- Grand pirouette in any position
- Waltz, including: Pirouettes en dehors and en dedans, pirouette in any open extension
- Petite allegro, including battu
- Grand allegro
- Classical variation of your choice en pointe
Second Round Audition
Based on first-round auditions, selected candidates will be asked to attend an in-person audition at the Ballet 5:8 studios in Frankfort, Illinois, typically held in March or April. Dancers are responsible for their own travel arrangements, but Ballet 5:8 can provide overnight accommodations during the audition.