Dancers who wish to audition for the Ballet 5:8 Trainee Program should be attending a comprehensive, pre-professional ballet training program at the time of the audition. Dancers must also be at least 17 years old by the beginning of the program and should have successfully completed their high school academic study.
To submit a video audition, you will need to fill out the entire online application below. To complete the application, the following items will be needed:
- $35 non-refundable video audition fee, payable by Paypal/any major credit card.
- Headshot (JPG file)
- First arabesque photograph, profile: arabesque at 90-degrees and en relevé, en pointe for female applicants (JPG file)
- Current dance training and performance resume, one page only (Microsoft Word or PDF file)
- Audition video (uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with an UNLISTED link - instructions at the bottom of this page)
The application includes some essay-style questions that will help us to get to know you a little better. It could take you 30-45 minutes to fill out the application completely.
You will additionally need a current letter of recommendation from a person in a place of leadership over you, such as your dance instructor, or employer, who can testify to your work ethic and your interest in pursuing a dance-related career path. This needs to be mailed or emailed directly to Ballet 5:8.
Video Audition Second Round
Based on first-round video auditions, selected candidates will be asked to attend an in-person audition at the Ballet 5:8 studios in Frankfort, Illinois. Dancers are responsible for their own travel arrangements, but Ballet 5:8 can provide overnight accommodations during the audition. The second round audition includes ballet technique (including pointe for women), Ballet 5:8 repertoire, and an interview.
In lieu of submitting a video, dancers may attend a Ballet 5:8 Spring Season Master Class to receive consideration for 2018/19 programs at Ballet 5:8, including the Trainee Program. All Master Classes are 90 minutes and include classical ballet technique and, for women, pointe. Classical ballet attire is required for all attendees.
- Frankfort, IL // January 13, 2018 at 10:30am
- Albuquerque, NW // March 4, 2018 (time TBA)
- San Antonio, TX // March 10, 2018 at 12:30pm
- New York, NY // April 7, 2018 at 12:30pm*
*At classes held after the Trainee Program application deadline, dancers will only be considered for remaining available positions will be charged any late registration fees as applicable.
You'll need to bring physical copies of the following along with your pre-registration confirmation to the Master Class:
- A headshot photograph
- A first arabesque photograph (en pointe for ladies, en relevé for gentlemen)
- A current resume
Master Class/Audition Registration
Registration for a Master Class requires payment of the non-refundable $30 Master Class fee. This can be paid using any major credit card using the pre-registration link below. Registration will alternatively be available in-person on the day of your class beginning 30 minutes prior to the class start time; cash or check only for in-person registration.
Following attendance of a Ballet 5:8 Master class, you will notified of consideration and/or acceptance for open Trainee and other positions. You will be asked to submit additional information, including your letter of recommendaiton, at that time if applicable.
Audition Video Instructions
Applicants please include the following exercises, one side only. Audition videos must be current (within 3 months of submission date). Performance footage is not an acceptable substitute for required classwork - thanks for your understanding!
- At the Barre:
- Plie, tendu, rond de jamb and grand battement
- In the center, one side only, en pointe:
- Adagio, including: Grand plié, developés to each direction, penché, promendade
- Grand pirouette in any position
- Waltz, including: Pirouettes en dehors and en dedans, pirouette in any open extension
- Petite allegro, including battu
- Grand allegro
- Classical variation of your choice (en pointe for women)