Summer Intensive 2016
"I became an overall stronger dancer..." - Intensive 2015 student
Ballet 5:8's Summer Intensive is structured to provide dancers with the serious classes and training hours needed to not just "keep up" technique, but to make gains, expand artistry, and engage with many different styles of dance and choreography along the way. Classes are informed by Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts' comprehensive Vaganova-style training syllabus that stresses proper placement, strength and flexibility but also incorporates the contemporary sensibilities required in today's athletic, fast-paced and high-energy professional dance field. The best part is that all this takes place in a uniquely positive environment shaped our by our Christian faith. Thanks to regular times during the program set aside for worship, Bible study, and fellowship in small groups, Summer Intensive at Ballet 5:8 is not only about dance, but a special opportunity for dancers to gain new friends, dig into God's word, and press into their faith.
Summer Intensive take place inside Ballet 5:8's 7,000 square foot building in Frankfort, Illinois, about a 35-minute drive from downtown Chicago. Classes take place in Ballet 5:8's four studios, each outfitted with full-length mirrors, sprung flooring, and professional marley. Ballet 5:8's building also includes administrative offices, dressing rooms, and a costume shop.
All Summer Intensive Levels Include:
- Daily ballet technique and pointe
- A range of afternoon classes that may include variations, partnering, jazz, modern, improv, character dance, stretch/strengthening classes, acting/mime, port de bras, and choreography
- Opportunities to learn classical repertoire as well as original Ballet 5:8 repertoire in classical, neoclassical and contemporary styles
- Performing opportunities in outreach settings and during the Student Showcase performances
- Seminars on a variety of dance related topics such as nutrition, mental health, cross training and injury prevention
- Morning devotions daily
- Full Program: July 4 - August 5, 2016
- Three-Week Option: July 4 - 22, 2016
- Two-Week Option: July 25 - August 5, 2016
Student Showcase performances are an opportunity for students to perform variations and other repertoire learned during the intensives. Showcase performances are typically held at the Ballet 5:8 studios in Frankfort. The showcase is free for students' family and friends, though advance RSVP is required.
- Mid-Intensive: Friday, July 22 2016 - 7:00pm
- Final Showcase: Friday, August 5, 2016 - 7:00pm
Summer Intensive is held in collaboration with Ballet 5:8's dance education center, Ballet 5:8 School of the Arts. The intensive information page is hosted on School.Ballet58.org this year. Clicking on the link below will re-direct you.