Ballet 5:8 Company Artist Audition
Each year, Ballet 5:8 seeks dancers who share a passion for Ballet 5:8's mission to fill available Company Artist, Apprentice and Trainee positions.
Auditions are accepted for each performing season through March 1. Late applications are also accepted but will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Available positions are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Ballet 5:8 does not accept dancer resumes without additional information.
**Please read the information below carefully before submitting your resume.**
Why Ballet 5:8?
Company Artist positions with Ballet 5:8 are a dynamic, multifaceted opportunity for performing artists who have a passion to not just dance, but to make a difference in our world through the use of their craft. Here at Ballet 5:8, we believe that we can use our craft in a way that brings the joy of dance out of the abstract, elitism of some art forms and into the hearts and minds of everyday people. This makes for a highly rewarding experience for Ballet 5:8 Company Artists, allowing them to walk into class and rehearsals each day with not only a passion for the art of dance, but also with the excitement of a deeper purpose and a bigger vision for the work of the company.
Ballet 5:8's performances combine the athleticism and beauty of professional dance with a commitment to practical communication, understandability, and to engaging audiences in relevant, meaningful discussion. Ballet 5:8 diverse and growing repertoire showcases the fruit of this commitment. Each work offers audiences a beautiful, creative experience that invites them to dig deeper as they consider the theme, concept or story behind it. Meanwhile, Ballet 5:8's many low-cost performances - in settings from 600-seat theaters to intimate, smaller theaters and even school gyms - and its tradition of holding a post-performance Talk Back with the audience after each show all demonstrate the company's practical commitment to accessibility, to reaching our communities and our world with the joy of the art that we love and much more.
Ballet 5:8 Company Artists work on paid contracts for 33-40 weeks each season, with access to daily technique class, weekly Pilates and PiYo, and Ballet 5:8's 7,000sf facility in addition to rehearsals. Daily class and rehearsals on a tight schedule can be intense, but they are also always a nurturing place where Ballet 5:8 Artistic Director Julianna Slager and Ballet 5:8 Ballet Mistress Lauren Ader-Cumpston work to bring out dancers' strengths and challenge them to constantly strive for more. Company Artists also have the opportunity to work with guest choreographers like Preston Miller and Caleb Mitchell as they create new works commissioned for Ballet 5:8.
Thanks to Ballet 5:8's small company size and non-traditional ranking system, Company Artists dance a wide variety of roles each season in a diverse array of classical and contemporary styles. Most dancers perform soloist roles regularly in addition to supporting the company by dancing a mixture of corps roles. Since Ballet 5:8 typically performs up to 40 times each season, there is no shortage of performing opportunities. With a regular touring schedule that includes 4-6 cities outside of Chicago, Company Artists also enjoy opportunities for travel.
Qualified candidates seeking positions with the Ballet 5:8 professional company should at minimum have graduated from a reputable pre-professional classical ballet training program and should be very comfortable dancing/performing classical technique on pointe. Candidates should additionally be comfortable exploring modern/contemporary dance styles and have some experience in this area. Candidates with previous corps de ballet and/or soloist experience in a professional setting are preferred, as are graduates from professional trainee programs. Applicants should typically be at least 20 years of age. Younger candidates with less experience are encouraged to apply for our Trainee Program.
Ballet 5:8 is also an organization dedicated to creating and performing works from the basis of our Christian faith. Applicants should have spent ample intentioned prayer time regarding Ballet 5:8 prior to applying for a position. Moreover, eligible candidates need to have a passion for allowing their personal faith in Jesus Christ be a major influence in their dancing and in their work with Ballet 5:8. We look for candidates who identify strongly with our passion for excellence, creativity and discussion in the arts, particularly in the city of Chicago.
Dancers thought to have potential and who resonate with our mission may be awarded unpaid Company Apprentice contracts with the possibility of promotion in future seasons. Dancers with insufficient experience and/or proficiency may also be referred to the Ballet 5:8 Trainee Program for further training and are reconsidered for Company Artist positions the following season.
To apply for a position as a Ballet 5:8 company artist, please prepare your application packet including the following items:
- Cover Letter: Please let us know why you’re applying for a position with Ballet 5:8. Include at least a paragraph explaining in your own words what the mission of Ballet 5:8 means to you and why.
- Current resume: Please ensure that your resume includes your contact information, your current age and height, a summary of your dance training and an overview of your performance experience. Please also include any collegiate studies and professional experience.
- Personal Testimony: Please include an attachment with your resume that includes a written version of your Christian testimony - i.e., how you became a Christian or why you currently choose to profess faith in Jesus Christ. Please additionally include a summary of information about the church you currently attend, your involvement with the body of believers there, and why you currently attend that church.
- Letter of Recommendation: This letter should be from your current pastor, a church elder or other ministry leader that you have an ongoing relationship with at your church. The letter should be sent directly to Ballet 5:8
- Video: Please send a short class video for review (physical DVD or YouTube link). This video should include excerpts from barre and center, specifically, lie, tendu, rond de jambe, and grand battement at the barre, and adagio (including grand lie, developes to each direction, penche, promenade, and a grande pirouette), waltz (including pirouettes en dehors, en sedans, and in an open extension), petite allegro (including battu), grand allegro and a classical variation in the center. All center work should be on pointe for female dancers.
Completed Applications Should Be Sent To:
20517 S. LaGrange Rd.
Frankfort, IL 60423
Applications may also be faxed to 312-725-4752 or emailed to email@example.com.
Response and Further Interviews
Applications are reviewed on a rolling first-come, first-served basis up until the application deadline. Upon receipt and review of your application, Ballet 5:8 will notify you of any available company artist, apprentice and trainee program openings we are considering you for. If you are selected as a candidate for an opening, you will be asked to attend a second interview in person at the Ballet 5:8 studios and will be notified 1-2 weeks following the second interview if you have been awarded a contract. Applicants are responsible for travel associated with the second interview, but Ballet 5:8 is able to provide overnight accommodations.