Ballet 5:8 accepts audition applications for all open positions December 1 - March 1 for the following performing season.
Late applications are also accepted but will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis pending the availability of open positions. Available positions are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Because of the unique nature of Ballet 5:8's mission, we do not accept resumes alone as audition applications. PLEASE KEEP READING FOR ADDITIONAL, IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON APPLYING.
Why Ballet 5:8?
Company positions with Ballet 5:8 are a dynamic, multifaceted opportunity for artists who have a passion to make a difference in our world through the arts.
We put the long hours and hard work into our craft because we believe the joy and beauty of dance can inspire people. We are committed to producing creative, innovative, excellent work because we believe that engaging audiences in meaningful discussion can positively impact all of us. Working as a professional dancer with Ballet 5:8 requires a great deal of dedication, passion and hard work, but it makes for a highly rewarding experience. Dancers walk into class and rehearsals each day with not only a passion for the art of dance, but also with the excitement of a deeper purpose and a bigger vision for the work of the company.
Company Artist Positions
Ballet 5:8 Company Artists work on paid contracts for 30 weeks each season, with access to daily technique class, weekly Pilates and Yoga, and Ballet 5:8's 7,000 square foot facility in addition to rehearsals. Company Artists perform with Ballet 5:8 up to 40 times each season around Chicago and across the U.S. on tour. Company Artists also have the opportunity to work with guest choreographers like Preston Miller and Caleb Mitchell as they create new works commissioned for Ballet 5:8.
Qualified candidates seeking positions with the Ballet 5:8 professional company should at minimum have graduated from a reputable pre-professional classical ballet training program and should be very comfortable dancing/performing classical technique on pointe. Candidates should additionally be comfortable exploring modern/contemporary dance styles and have some experience in this area. Candidates with previous corps de ballet and/or soloist experience in a professional setting are preferred, as are graduates from professional trainee programs. Applicants should typically be at least 20 years of age. Younger candidates with less experience are encouraged to apply for our Trainee Program.
Dancers thought to have potential and who resonate with our mission may be awarded unpaid Company Apprentice contracts with the possibility of promotion in future seasons. Dancers with insufficient experience and/or proficiency may also be referred to the Ballet 5:8 Trainee Program for further training and are reconsidered for Company positions the following season. All hiring decisions are based on the sole discretion of the Ballet 5:8 Directors and may be affected by the availability of open positions.
To apply for a position with Ballet 5:8, please including the following items in your application:
- Cover Letter: Please let us know why you’re applying for a position with Ballet 5:8. Include at least a paragraph explaining in your own words what the mission of Ballet 5:8 means to you and why.
- Current resume: Please ensure that your resume includes your contact information, your current age and height, a summary of your dance training and an overview of your performance experience. Please also include any collegiate studies and professional experience.
- Personal Testimony: Please include an attachment with your resume that includes a written version of your Christian testimony - i.e., how you became a Christian or why you currently choose to profess faith in Jesus Christ. Please additionally include a summary of information about the church you currently attend, your involvement with the body of believers there, and why you currently attend that church.
- Letter of Recommendation: This letter should be from your current pastor, a church elder or other ministry leader that you have an ongoing relationship with at your church. The letter should be sent directly to Ballet 5:8
- Video: Please send a short class video for review (physical DVD or YouTube link). This video should include excerpts from barre and center, specifically, lie, tendu, rond de jambe, and grand battement at the barre, and adagio (including grand plie, developes to each direction, penche, promenade, and a grande pirouette), waltz (including pirouettes en dehors, en sedans, and in an open extension), petite allegro (including battu), grand allegro and a classical variation in the center. All center work should be on pointe for female dancers.
Send completed applications to:
20517 S. LaGrange Rd.
Frankfort, IL 60423
Applications may also be faxed to 312-725-4752 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Response and Further Interviews
Applications are reviewed on a rolling first-come, first-served basis. Upon receipt and review of your application, Ballet 5:8 will notify you of any available company artist, apprentice and trainee program openings we are considering you for. If you are selected as a candidate for an opening, you will be asked to attend a second interview in person at the Ballet 5:8 studios and will be notified 1-2 weeks following the second interview if you have been awarded a contract. Applicants are responsible for travel associated with the second interview, but Ballet 5:8 is most often able to provide overnight accommodations.